Monday, December 29, 2008

Doing business right

My wife’s friend brought her computer to me to get fixed, it’s among one of the things I like to do along with photography and web design. While I was in the Air Force I picked up this talent and once I got out I did freelance computer repair. Well my wife’s friend told me she took her computer to a computer repair store a year ago and at $100 an hour, she asked them to check it out in an hour, not to go over the $100 mark and to let her know how much to fix it. They called her and said your computer is fixed and ready to be picked up, and your bill is $800. Well that is just wrong, after some conversations with the owner/manager they knocked it down to $132. She said fine and she’ll come by and pick it up. The one technician offered to bring it to her on his lunch break. He arrived and she handed him a check for $132 and he said it was going to be an additional $95 for delivery. You can imagine how upset she was.

My point of the whole story is, that is wrong. You shouldn’t do business like that. It’s not how I do business and it goes against everything I believe in. My belief is to treat others as you would like to be treated, to be fair and honest with each other. And that’s how I do business with my photography clients, I’m not going to force a sale on you, or talk you into something you don’t want or need. I’m here to provide a service that you want, and I like to provide that service to you the way you want.

On a side note, my wife’s friend is also the mother of the little boy I photographed a year ago. It was a treat to see him again.

No comments: