Monday, September 15, 2008

Why a phone call can save you money.

I often wonder why I get as many emails as I do, but not as many phone calls. With my phone number all over my websites and on my business cards, why not call instead of writing an email. Not unless someone is price shopping and sending out the exact same emails out to different photographers but still they aren’t getting the best deal I’m sure. Here’s an example of how a phone call saved me money and why I encourage people to do the same. My wife and I were going on vacation down to Busch Gardens with her mother and I called up the number on the brochure we had to ask the question, “is it cheaper to buy tickets online or at the gate?” The woman on the other line mentioned a special discount just started at McDonalds, where you get $12 off each ticket. She then asked if I was military by chance and I said yes, Air Force. Apparently military get in for free there and I didn’t know it because the last time I was there was when I was in high school. So because I called and the woman gave me that good information I brought my ID card and the coupon to the front gate. Not only did I get in for free but also my wife, and in the end we saved over $100 just from phone call.
If I were to get an email, all I might know is their date and they are looking for photography. I would then suggest my lowest package for $1000 for 3 hours of photography with various items in the package.
Now what if it were a couple getting married and the only people present to this event would be the children. Why charge them $1000 when I could offer then say a beach portrait price package of $300 and it includes prints and an hour of photography. So a phone call would have saved them $700.
Just something to think about next time you are shopping around. Even if its not with me, call around, you never know the other person on the phone might be a helpful person.

No comments: