Sunday, September 21, 2008

Are all DJs created equal?

This Saturday’s wedding came with a powerful point that I’ve been trying to hit home with couples for years. We got hired out to photograph a wedding and we had to interact with a DJ we’ve never worked with before. And I would have to say the DJ is either new to the business or totally burnt out, as he exerted NO professional courteous to anyone else in the wedding business, namely the photographer (I’m not sure about anyone else). When it came time for the cutting cake, that’s like an important part for a photographer to shoot, we plan for that, we ask the DJ or wedding planner to let us know when that’s happening. And what did this DJ do you might ask, well as the bride and groom were eating we stopped for a few minutes to eat as well, and with no extra place settings, dinner was eaten out in the hallway. The food was only partially eaten when we checked on the bride and groom to find they had cut the cake in our absence. The DJ could have waited; the DJ should have had the respect to let us know, come on. We checked with him as soon as we came in the door, so there was no misunderstanding on our part, he knew we needed to know.
Now when a Bride or Groom calls me wanting to book photography services, my second question I ask them is, “Do you need any other wedding services, a DJ, wedding Minister, Videographer, or limousine?” Because if they say “yes we need…..” right away I’m saving the new couple money by combining services, I’m also saving them any kind of complications as I’m recommending Great professionals that I’ve worked with in the past and have had wonderful experiences with. Take for example, DJ Jawz also known as Jason. Great guy and Awesome DJ, there have been times when I’m off photographing say the parents outside, or grabbing bite, or even using the restroom, and I know for a fact that Jason has got my back in that wedding. He’ll give me heads up on everything that might happen, along with keeping that dance floor hopping.
I got booked at one wedding and there was a DJ Casey, and I can tell you right now, not the best choice, shy on the microphone and not all that in tune with the crowd. Just keep all this in mind, if you are looking for multiple wedding services, please let me know so I can let you know what works well to make your day a great one.

No comments: