Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rehoboth Beach Thunderstorm

Living in Rehoboth beach and having a place on the third floor has given me a nice front row seat to a lot of Delaware’s weather. I’ve always been fascinated by weather, from snow storms to hurricanes and I’m a big fan of rain, not sure why. Granted when I have a wedding to do that day or a beach portrait, I pray for sunshine and good weather, but when I’m working on photos or just chilling out indoors, I love to look out and see the rain fall.


I’ve always wanted to capture my own images of lightning strikes but never took the time to walk out into a storm and photograph them. Number one it’s not a good idea to take $3000 worth of gear near or around water. You can put it in baggies or use an umbrella but why take the risk. This time however, the storm was off in the distance and it was a awesome site to see. On these images I held the camera by hand, I had the shutter speed on 1 second, and manual focus. I had to guess approximately when it might flash again. But in some cases, it would flash, I would snap the picture and then a second flash would follow and I got it.

No comments: